Friday, July 16, 2010

Tomato Hunger Snack


I was hungry the other day for something lite. It's hammer time... I mean summer time, and I only had a tomato, so I went with it. Added some Cabot cheddar, balsamic vinegar, extra virgin olive oil, basil, salt, and pepper. It's my quick adaptation of a caprese salad. I didn't have mozzarella, and I actually prefer some bite to my cheese, so this worked out great.

Note: It doesn't matter how you say tomato, don't put them in the refrigerator - their texture and flavor changes for the worse. And try to buy them at farmers markets. The tomatoes in supermarkets get picked green, not ripe, then they are gassed so that they turn red. When you buy them they are not actually 'ripe'.

1 tomato, sliced
1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
Couple leaves of basil
Amount of cheddar or cheese you prefer diced, sliced, however
Salt
Pepper

Combine all ingredients in order. Tomato, balsamic, olive oil, salt, pepper, basil, cheddar.

Eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment